Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tribute to the Fallen

Yesterday, I participated in a very solemn ceremony-- that of sending home a fallen soldier.  A few of us from the Embassy flew to Bagram to send off SPC Ryan Clarke, killed the day before.  I don't know much about him, his age, where he is from, even what were the circumstances of his death.  This much I do know, another young valiant soldier has gone home, and he died voluntarily for his country.  Many of us ask ourselves each day, why we are here.  Certainly, there are ethical arguments that, we as humans have an obligation to assist our Afghan brothers and sisters, and to help them defeat the horrible option of government by the ruthless Taliban.  Our government has yet to produce any significant or meaningful reason for the enormous cost of executing a war in a country such as Afghanistan.  The strategic objectives illogically and vaguely outlined  by the White House and endorsed by the intellectuals within the Department of Defense are not at all convincing.  As of yesterday, 1,317 Americans have died, 7,266 wounded-- for what?  For the Afghan people, for national security, for some rogue strategic ideal-- for what?

This much I will say, the American soldier is a volunteer soldier, and we do what we are ordered to do.  Upon arrival in the war zone, the mission is not to "defeat the enemy", it is to survive, and to help your buddy survive!  SPC Clarke gave his life, his future, a sacrifice that will be questioned by his family the rest of their lives.  No matter the explanations the historians will ultimately provide for our being here, this young soldier died for the ideals ingrained in us from the moment we begin our military lives.  Those ideals are based in Judeo-Christian values of honor, integrity, charity, honesty, the worth of life, -- that these virtues are bigger than us and are worth defending.  SPC Clarke gave his life for an ideal-- a belief that God has a plan for us, and there needs to be an atmosphere of freedom to fully learn, embrace, and live that plan.  There are organizations, and even religions that preach against this plan of happiness.  There are philosophies, tolerated, and even defended by many of our most Christian of neighbors, in the catalyst of political correctness.  SPC Clarke did not die defending tolerance of philosophies that burden and destroy man's happiness.

I have spent many years over the last 10 years in this part of the world, where an oppressive philosophy predominately dictates and absorbs the whole of nations.  There are some good lessons to learn from this, but there is also darkness and little hope of a free conscience where a man and woman can embrace happiness found outside of that philosophy.  I don't mean pleasure, I mean happiness, joy, hope, and love.  As this soldier's flag draped metal box was removed from the combat vehicle, and reverently moved to the aircraft waiting to take him to his family, a small brass band began to play "Abide with Me".  The hymn reads:
Abide with me! fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me!
Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day.
Earth’s joys grow dim; its glories pass away.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me!
I need thy presence ev’ry passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!

I pray that SPC Clarke's family may find peace in that fact that their son, husband, father, is in the arms of Him who abides with us all, and whose embrace lifts and comforts, when all others "flee".  When I witness these types of ceremonies, I am reminded of the value of each life to our Father in Heaven.  We Americans are successful in our military operations, because we understand the worth of souls, unlike the ruthless murderers that we fight each day.  We fight for each other, we fight for you, and yes, we even fight for the Afghan people, because their lives are also precious.

3 comments:

  1. Dad, that was truly beautiful! Thank you for your inspiring and comforting words. It made me weep!! I miss you so very much, but I know that you're doing what the Lord wants you to do. What a wonderful example you are to me! I love you my dear father, hero, and friend. God bless you and your fellow soldiers!
    Love, Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, that was truly beautiful! Thank you for your inspiring and comforting words. It made me weep!! I miss you so very much, but I know that you're doing what the Lord wants you to do. What a wonderful example you are to me! I love you my dear father, hero, and friend. God bless you and your fellow soldiers!
    Love, Britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Father,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful blog and all that you have wrote! It has really helped me to understand how blessed with in this country and how much I have to be grateful for each and every day! I thanks you for serving and I thank all men and women who give their lives to fight for every American out there!! You are the true heros of this world! I love you!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete