Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Still waiting for election results

It has been about 10 days since the election, and the officials are saying it might be weeks before results are released.  Why, you might ask?  Well, there were attacks, kidnappings, intimidation, ballot stuffing, fraud, etc., etc., etc.  A good friend of mine who has a family member in Parliament, told me that the Afghan officials think there was a less than 20% turn out.  This friend told me that his co-worker went to vote midday, and was turned around by armed security.  He crossed the street, saw a car pull up to the polling site, and witnessed several huge boxes being unloaded into the polling site.  One of the polling volunteers later related to this guy that there were only about 200 people show up to vote before the "armed security" closed it, yet there were over 3,000 votes counted!

The Taliban had warned that they would cause havoc and they did!  Terrorist attacks were carried out in 17 of the 34 provinces.  There was even a mosque destroyed, that was used as a polling site.  By the way, the Korans inside the mosque were burned along with the building!  Afghan officials declared the election a victory, because there were only 485 "violent incidents" with 11 voters and 3 police officers killed, and 45 people wounded.  That was down from 2009 elections, which saw 479 violent attacks, with 31 civilians, 18 police, and 8 Afghan military killed-- more attacks but less casualties.  I guess that is a victory, unless you were one of the 14 killed!

On the brighter side, US casualties this month are considerably lower.  Since the arrival of Gen Petreaus, our effectiveness of the combat strategy has improved.  We are utilizing our air capabilities with much more accuracy, a lot of that has to do with better intelligence.  As a result of this intelligence, our air strikes are directed at Taliban leadership, which has had impressive results.  This better intel, is due in large part of the Afghans finally being fed up with the number of attacks on Afghans.  Every day, I read of attacks on women, children, schools, and medical clinics.  However, in Pakistan, the Taliban is using a little different strategy.  During the floods last month, they were quick to react in delivering food and supplies to effected regions, mainly because of the pathetic, indifferent Pakistani leadership.  On a side note, American forces sent huge amounts of food, water, and medicine by helicopter, which was not reported to the Pakistani people by their own media.  Incidentally, the Pakistani government charged the US for the fuel we used to fly in these supplies!

As a follow-up to my story of the little girl that I see every Friday-- I saw her as I left our church services this last Friday.  She saw me at a distance, and ran to me with a huge smile.  she wanted to show me her new scarf that she bought with the money I gave her the week before.  Now, with new shoes and a new scarf, this little girl is smiling constantly.  She taught me her name-- which I butchered before-- it is Navid.  I will get a picture of her one of these days and post it.

2 comments:

  1. Dad, that is SO neat about the little girl. I've been reading your posts to Candace and we are loving it. We don't get to hear all that is going on over there when we talk on the phone with you so it's awesome to read it on your blog. Keep posting because we are reading!!! Love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering about the little girl I am glad to hear that she is smiling! I love reading your blog, it is so interesting to me. Thanks for taking the time to write.

    ReplyDelete