Saturday, September 4, 2010

IT Challanged

I have never done anything with a Blog, but Brittany was sweet enough to set it up for me.  I wanted to do this from the beginning of my 2nd tour to Afghanistan, but being the IT idiot I am, I left it to the younger experts to set it up-- sooo-- thanks Britty!
I have been in Afghanistan now for over 3 months (over half way there), and it is very different from my first adventure here in 2002.  For one thing, it is more dangerous, getting around is difficult, and I am alot older!  You would think that after 9 years here, we would have made the security a little better.  I will have to say, that the security issue is not the fault of the US and coalition Forces, as they continue to do what they can given the limitations placed on them by our own government, and the very incompetent and corrupt Afghan government.  Military operations are very difficult to carry out within the confines of a confussed President, and seemingly pointless and undefined mission statement!
However, our young men and women from all the coalition forces are extremely courageous in carrying out their duties.  I am so impressed with the calibre of these military forces, and their dedication to orders, whether they agree wtih them or not.  Our country has done something right in producing such fine young men and women.  It is interesting to note, that a couple of years ago,Sen John Kerry, in a high school commencement address, told the students to get an educaiton, or they will end up in the military with the rest of Americas idiots.  Yet, in education demographics, the US military has the highest percentage of educated personnel than any other segment of our population!
Anyway, I will get caught up with what has gone on and what is currently happening (along with photos) as I get more time.  I am grateful to serve my fellow soldiers, sailors, airman and marines, and am honored to be in a position that I have a direct impact in their quality of life here, and their ability to carry out their missions.  As all of my deployments have been an education for me, this one has certainly defined for me what is really important in this life of ours, and that those treasures are most certainly worth defending!

No comments:

Post a Comment