Saturday, September 18, 2010

Afghan National Elections

Today marked the 2nd national elections in Afghanistan.  It began with an earthquake of 6.2, about 165 miles northeast of Kabul.  I was reading in my bed when just before midnight, my hooch moved (a hooch is my 10' x' 20' container turned apartment)!  At first I thouht it was a rocket attack, but I didn't hear any booms.  It lasted about 20 seconds.  I went outside, and could feel the rumble of the earth under my feet.  a few other people also came out of their hooches, and we all looked at each other and decided it was an earthquake. 

I had just dosed off about 3 am this morning, when I did hear a boom-- then another boom.  We were hit by rockets about 150 yards from my hooch.  There wasn't any damage, and no one was hurt.  The Taliban had threatened attacks today, and those were the first.  It is about 5 PM my time on the 18th, and the polls are supposed to stay open for another 2 hours.  The initial reports indicate that there have been small attacks all over the country, mainly in the south, and north east (where the Taliban is strongest).  There have been several Afghans killed, and many more wounded, and one candidate kidnapped!  Afghanistan has deployed 63,000 ANA (Afghan national Army), and 52,000 ANP (Afghan National Police) to assist in the security.  In the last election (last year, in which Karzia won with enormous corruption and fixed ballots), there was only about a 30% turnout.  I think they expect an even lower amount this election.  People just arn't willing to go out and vote when they know that 1) they might be shot,, and 2) the corruption in the balloting is so high anyway, so wants the point. 

The UN, NATO, and the US political powers and the American media will ultimately call it an historic election!  I have had many discussions with Afghans who work in the Embassy, as well as my Afghan government buddies, and I have yet to find one who will vote.  So, we have spent billions and billions of national treasure, and over 1,100 killed, with about 5,500 wounded to instal a democratic government with free elections!  Don't get me wrong, there are thousands of stories of individual successes, and thousands of Afghans who have been elevated to a new standard of living.  I have even had many Afghans thank me for my service to them, and that instills a very warm feeling.  There is so much good going on, but manly by individuals, not governments.   Our construction projects in infrastructure, schools, hospitals, government buildings, etc., is enormous, and impressive.  But as the old statement of Christ says, it is better to teach a man to fish, than just give him the fish!

I do have a real fun story to relate.  I go over to a military base in the green zone (secured zone where all the embassies are) every Friday for my church meetings.  Outside the gate, there are little kids selling different kinds of wares, who virtually attack each person who gets near the gate!  A few months ago, I was "attacked" by a little boy about 8 yrs old, and his friend, a girl about 11 or 12.  I told them that I didn't want to buy anything, but if they would learn my name, I would give them a dollar.  My name is on my uniform,  They looked at it, and finally the girl said, "plate".  I said, close enough and gave them each a dollar.  I watched them both run off a short distance to a parked car, and gave the money to a man in a nice suit (these kids were not in any way middle income-- they appeared very poor)!  I was furious!

A couple of weeks later, they hunted me down again, and I told them I was upset that they gave the money to the man in the car (I said this through an interpreter).  They told me that they have to give the man the money, becasue he gets them in through security.  I took them around the corner where the man in the car couldn't see them, and told them I would give them money if they promised me they would buy them selves some shoes.  They agreed, and I gave them each $10-- alot of money considering that most Afghans earn about $400 - $600 a year).  Well I hadn't seen either one of them for over a month, and this last Friday, the little girl (whose name is Navidat-- I think) came running up to me and showed me her new shoes!  I gave her some more money and told her the next time, I wanted to see her with a new dress.  We will see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. Marc I am glad to hear that nobody was hurt in the attack! I love the story of the kids! We love you and you are in our prayers, can't wait till you are home safe with your family!

    ReplyDelete